I have said that copying Jesus is a radically different way to live. However, if you look at the 12 Essential Ways to Copy Jesus, I’ll admit they don’t look that outrageous.
In fact, they seem a little ordinary and bland.
They only become extraordinary when you see how Jesus tells us to apply these behaviors to life.
Examples of How Jesus Is So Different
Let’s look at how Jesus’ way is so different.
|World’s Way||Jesus’ Way|
|Love those who love you back.||Love your enemies.|
|Don’t be anyone’s fool.||Turn the other cheek.|
|People have to pay for their mistakes.||Forgive people seventy times seven.|
|Believing in an invisible God is stupid.||Faith can move mountains.|
|It is my way or the highway.||Give everything, even your life, for others.|
|More stuff equal more happiness.||Store up your treasure in heaven.|
|Who’s to say what is right and wrong?||I am the truth, the way and the life.|
|Climb your way to the top.||Whoever is least among you is greatest.|
|Do whatever feels right.||Deny yourself and follow me.|
|Faith is a private matter.||Go make disciples of all nations.|
|I am basically a good person. It is the other crazy people that I worry about.||Take the log out of your own eye and then you will see well enough to deal with the speck in your friend’s eye.|
Do you see how the way Jesus says to live is radically different from the world’s way?
This is why he likens the renewing of our minds He has for us to being born again. It is that transformational and we desperately need it.
Now that you’re thinking in these terms, I challenge you to read some of the things that Jesus says in the Bible and compare them to the way we usually think. I’ve done this and it is astounding to me at how His way is so drastically different than mine.
Up above, I tried to stick strictly to what Jesus himself said, but if you expand this study to all of God’s Word, then you can really see how God’s ways are radically different.
Compare the scriptures below to the common thinking of today:
- The borrower is slave to the lender. (Prov 22:7)
- You should remember the words of the Lord Jesus: “It is more blessed to give than to receive.” (Acts 20:35)
- Blessed are the poor in spirit, those who mourn, the meek, the merciful, the pure in heart, the persecuted. (Matt 5:3-10)
- Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. (Matt 5:11)
- Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I could gain Christ and become one with him. (Phil 3:8-9)
Are you beginning to see just how different God’s way is from our way?
Here’s the truth that hit me so hard recently:
If the Bible is truly our God-provided instruction book for living and if I really believe God loves me and wants what’s best for me, then shouldn’t I be paying a LOT more attention to these obvious and radical differences in His way and my way?
The fact that I missed this for so long really bothers me. I’ve wasted a lot of time living blind. This is why I now want to copy Jesus.
I want to allow Him to transform me through the radical renewing of my mind.